Friday, March 20, 2009

Hipster Disneyland

So the time has come for my little post. Guess I'll just give a recap of what I've been up to down here--more cohesive info on specifics for CAB/booking to come. P.S. You can visually supplement this blog with pictures from pretty much everything I've been at @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/colgateuniversity/collections/.
Ok, so casting my memory back to yesterday morning, I woke up from a meat coma induced by Tuesday night's trip to Salt Lick BBQ and headed to the convention center for a panel called "Annoying Things Bands Do." Ended up being more geared towards artists, telling them, from venue managers' perspectives, how to do a gig successfully, efficiently, and politely. Heard some horror stories, but I think bands we bring to school tend to be pretty good about load out, green room riders, being on time, etc.
Next panel I went to was Crash Course #2: Management. Scott Booker, the manager for the Flaming Lips, and another dude were answering questions about band management/agency. This was interesting to listen to because managers tend to be the people we deal with in the planning stages of a gig so it's good to know how their end of the deal works.
Now the good part: the music! Shout Out Out Out Out at the Canadian Blast Barbecue was great. Then Annie Rossi and M Ward out at Central Pres. Church, which was an amazing venue with great acoustics and very cool vibe. Spiritual even? Then I split up from the group to see some electronic stuff other peeps weren't really into (there's no way not to end that sentence in a preposition. Is this the kind of thing bloggers are paying attention to? Oh god, another preposition!). Black Cherry and Natalie Portman's Shaved Head were both fantastic, the latter drawing a pretty sizable crowd that liked to dance.
Now today: Heard Quincy Jones' key note speech was interesting, but I skipped it to check out a friend's band, the Ivorys (with a y), at 1:30ish. Ended up getting a little tour of Austin with his friend who's a local. After some great tex-mex, she took us to a great place called Spider cafe a little farther out than 6th St., the main drag. Saw a band there whose name I don't think I should post here. For that matter, the next two bands I saw today also have names I won't post. But they're creative. Lot of shows going on in every part of town, even in residential areas. Then I went out to the Auditorium by the lake for Cold War Kids and M Ward--great outdoor venue on the water, definitely going back Saturday for Beach House. Then it was back downtown for Andrew Bird, who was fantastic. Midnight went to see Passion Pit. Also very very good. Wasn't surprised to see bigger crowd and recognition of their single "Sleepyhead"--Pitchfork has been raving about them for months. My favorite show of the night was actually my last, The Harlem Shakes. These guys were great: high energy, interesting drum beats, cool synth. They seemed to have a little bit of a following, too. Oh, and I caught Peter Bjorn and John on their encore. They played "Young Folks"--good timing!
And just when I thought the night couldn't get any better, we found a cupcake vendor on the street. I love Austin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment