Sunday, March 22, 2009

Austin, we hardly knew yee.

Got a lot of interesting info today not from panels, but from talking to bands after shows. Headed out to Auditorium Shores by the lake first to see Beach House and The Cannabinoids feat. Erykah Badu. Then I headed back downtown and caught Hot Panda, whom I spoke with a little after the show. Said they'd be interested in playing a small college, but as I suspect is the case with a lot of new/unsigned indie bands, they haven't done it before. Wonder if these kind of bands front the money to register on a site like Sonic Bids or if the old-fashioned email way is best bet for booking a band like this. Around 10 I saw Yelle, a french electro/pop/rap act I've been waiting a while to see. And she did not disappoint! Might be the best thing I've seen all weekend, or at least top five. Checked out another electro act called We Have Band very briefly and then stopped in at Third Eye Blind's last performance of the festival. They had the nerve to be playing stuff from their new album, so I left immediately after the final chord of "Jumper", went down the street and caught the second half of the Spinto Band, a band I saw open for the Arctic Monkeys 3-4 years ago and love to see live. Got a chance to talk to them a little afterwards about their touring/ availability, and they specifically mentioned talking to labels. I guess the thinking is you set up a relationship with one label and bring a few of their bands over a period of time as a package deal kind of thing. Thought that was an interesting angle to take.
Now as I diligently type this blog in the hallway, a band called Superlasciva from Argentina hands me their cd and strikes up a conversation in Spanish. I warned them that I speak Spanish only "un poquito" but they were so enthusiastic. They even wanted to play a little for me out here but I told them some other time. When they found out it was my last night, they both said in unison "Que lastima!"
What a shame indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment